What do you and an Olympic champion have in common? Trust me when I say, plenty. Winning athletes, Olympians included, start from the exact same place as we all do. From the very beginning, not knowing anything about what they eventually become expert at.
This past weekend I had the glorious opportunity to attend a Women's Only Weekend. There was yoga. And meditation. And hiking. And delicious vegan options for me (doing the happy dance). But among the highlights of the weekend was a luncheon with Nancy Green.
More than 40 years after her gold-metal win, Nancy Green's Olympian spirit lives on. She shared her winning edge philosophy with a group of us women. Her 5 secrets to awaken our inner Olympian apply to all of us.
- Practice your craft. No matter what your passion and/or skill, practice and hone it.
- Turn disappointment into opportunity. When things don't go the way you'd hoped, don't give up. Become more determined. Always keep your eye on the prize.
- You can't do it alone. We all need family and friends. But we also need coaches, trainers, mentors and others more experienced than we are in order to accomplish #1 and #2. Never be afraid to ask for the help you need.
- Give of yourself. Give back to your community, sport or whatever you are passionate about. It is in giving that we receive.
- Stay true your values. Never compromise what you believe in. Honor your truth. Always.
CHALLENGE: How can you apply these 5 secrets in your own life?